ACCREDITED LAND CONSULTANT
I began my real estate career in 1978 buying and selling large tracts of farmland with W. R. Thompson Farmland Investments where we optioned and purchased large tracts of farmland from Georgia to Texas. We packaged and sold them to European Investors and in turn managed the farms for the Investors. We managed over 25,000 acres of farmland.
We also purchased 17 Commercial Warehouses and managed over 7 million square feet of Commercial Warehouse space in 4 states for commercial tenants.
In business for myself since 1985, I developed the hydroponic vegetable farming industry in Memphis located at the Agricenter International. We sold greenhouse-farming facilities and marketed all of the produce to regional restaurants and grocery chains. I was instrumental in the start of the Farmers Market located at the Agricenter in 1986 in conjunction with Shelby County Government to become a produce outlet for small local and regional produce farmers.
I formed and started Southern Properties in 1987 and am a licensed Real Estate Broker in Tennessee and Arkansas. I am involved in the Real Estate business in almost all facets of the industry. I hold the Accredited Land Consultant Designation (ALC) which is the esteemed credential of the Realtors Land Institute. This Designation is attained only by those land specialists that demonstrate the highest level of knowledge, experience, and professionalism.
REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY ACTIVITIES
Activity in Memphis Area Association of Realtors:
* Member since 1988 – 23 years
* MLS Committee – 12 years on committee plus several sub-committees
And task force assignments
* Membership Committee – 5 years of service, vice chairman
* By Laws Committee – 2 years of service, vice chairman
* Grievance Committee – 2 years of service
* Governmental Affairs Committee – 1 year of service
* Professional Standards – 1 year of service
* Election Commission – 2 years of service
* Commercial and Industrial Committee – 1 year
* MLS and Board Orientation Instructor – 2 years
* Board of Directors – 1994-1995
* MAAR President Elect 2003
* MAAR President 2004
* MAAR Realtor of the Year 2005
* Habitat for Humanity volunteer – 5 years service
* Welcome Home Memphis Instructor for Repairs and Maintenance Class
* Commercial Council – Board of Directors 2006, 2010-13
* Chairman Fair and Affordable Housing Committee – 2007
* Sterling Member of RPAC
* Pinnacle Award Winner – 2011 Land Broker of Year, MAAR Commercial Council
Activity in Tennessee Association of Realtors:
Board of Director – 1995, 1998, and 2000-2010
Division 1 Vice President – 2005, 2006
Board Liaison for Governmental Affairs – 2005, 2006
Standard Forms Presidential Advisory Group – 1997
Political Coordinator – Jimmy Naifeh 2003-2009
Budget and Finance – 2006 and 2007
Nominating Committee – 2007, 2008
Attend most state meetings and Annual Meetings 1995-2009.
Activity in National Association of Realtors:
NAR Board of Directors 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
NAR Executive Committee – RLI Representative 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
NAR Inaugural Leadership Class 2007-08
1. Commercial Legislation and Regulatory Subcommittee 2002
2. Multiple Listing Issues and Policies Committee 2002,03,04,2006-2009
3. Business Issues Committee 2003
4. Housing Needs Committee 2005
5. Land Use, Property rights and Environment 2007
6. Housing Policy Committee 2009, 2010 – 2013
7. NAR Commercial Committee 2012
Work Group Service:
1. MLS Internet Issues Work Group 2007
2. HVCC Issues Work Group 2010
3. NAR Structural Review PAG 2012
1. Commercial Forum Panelist – 2004 Leadership Summit Chicago
2. Featured Speaker at Housing Needs Committee – Welcome Home Memphis Affordable Housing Program 2004, 1st National Partnership with Conference of Mayors for Cities for advancement of Affordable Housing Programs
3. Conference Speaker: Customer Retention, 2009 NAR Annual Conference, San Diego, CA
Attendance and participation at NAR Conventions:
Attended all Annual Meetings since 1994-2010
Participated in all regional meetings and caucus
Activity in Realtors Land Institute:
Founding Member of Tennessee State Chapter in 1996.
Board of Director Tennessee State Chapter 1997 – 2007
Secretary – Treasurer Tennessee State RLI Chapter, 1998
President – Tennessee State RLI Chapter, 1999 and 2000, 2010.
Task Force to Restructure RLI at National Level, 2002
National Board of Governors: 1999-2002
National Board of Directors: 2008, 2009, 2010
Accredited Land Consultant Designation 2006
National RLI Executive Committee Representative 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
RLI “National Land Broker of America 2011”
Chairman – RLI National Land Conference 2013
RLI National Speaker Series – C-21 National Convention 2013
Activity in Memphis Area HomeBuilders Association:
Chairman Sales and Marketing Council – 1998, 2000, and 2001
Registered Builder Committee Member 1999, 2000, 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09, 10
Board of Directors 1998, 2000, and 2001
Activity in Agriculture:
*Grew up on a family farm in Covington Tennessee, we raised registered Angus cattle, cotton, corn, soybeans, and hay. Our family has been in the farming industry since the early 1910’s with the family farms still intact.
*Started and owned the Aquagarden Hydroponics operation at Agricenter International in 1985. Was first business to locate at Agricenter International growing lettuce, tomatoes, and fish in greenhouses.
*Was Instrumental in forming and opening the original Farmers Market at Agricenter International with Tommy Hill and Shelby County Mayor Bill Morris. We requested $10,000 from State of Tennessee and Shelby County donated the Red Barn where we remodeled the Red Barn into the Farmers Market in 1986. We wrote the rules and regulations of operations and solicited produce farmers in the Mid South to open and manage the original Farmers Market. In present day we have second and third generation produce farmers from the inaugural group still selling at the market.
*Bought, designed, own, and manage precision leveled and irrigated rice and soybean farm in Eastern Arkansas with managed duck hunting and CRP timber growth.
*Own and operate small family farm operation with cows, horses, and chickens to educate our two girls the importance of living off of the land and how to produce your own food and learn the farm way of life.
*Own and operate a 100 acre rural 138 Trailer Park Community that includes timber growth, trailer park, restaurant, coin operated Laundromat, and vegetable plots for community in Mississippi.